Re: doc: clarify the limitation for logical replication when REPILICA IDENTITY is FULL

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: doc: clarify the limitation for logical replication when REPILICA IDENTITY is FULL
Date: 2023-07-10 10:16:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 2:33 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

If the published table specifies
+ <link linkend="sql-altertable-replica-identity-full"><literal>REPLICA
IDENTITY FULL</literal></link>
+ but the table includes an attribute whose datatype is not an operator
+ class of Btree,

Isn't the same true for the hash operator class family as well? Can we
slightly change the line as: "... the table includes an attribute
whose datatype doesn't have an equality operator defined for it..".
Also, I find the proposed wording a bit odd, can we swap the sentence
to say something like: "The UPDATE and DELETE operations cannot be
replicated for the published tables that specifies REPLICA IDENTITY
FULL but the table includes an attribute whose datatype doesn't have
an equality operator defined for it on the subscriber."?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.