Re: BUG #11350: ALTER SYSTEM is not DDL?

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: katsumata(dot)tomonari(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #11350: ALTER SYSTEM is not DDL?
Date: 2014-09-04 06:38:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:43 AM, <katsumata(dot)tomonari(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> Bug reference: 11350
> Logged by: Tomonari Katsumata
> Email address: katsumata(dot)tomonari(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp
> PostgreSQL version: 9.4beta2
> Operating system: RHEL6.4 x86_64
>
> The document says about log_statement:
> >ddl logs all data definition statements, such as CREATE, ALTER, and DROP
> statements.
>
> So I think log message should be outputted when executing ALTER SYSTEM
with
> 'log_statement = ddl'.
>
> Am I missing something?

Currently it is considered similar to SET statement as it performs
similar operation except that the value for configuration gets set
in configuration file. Do you see any reason for it to be considered
differently except that the command has ALTER keyword?

Note-
Initially we have thought it to be a variant of SET (SET PERSISTENT),
however later it turns out that it will be better to use ALTER SYSTEM
for this command.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.