Re: Buffers from parallel workers not accumulated to upper nodes with gather merge

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Buffers from parallel workers not accumulated to upper nodes with gather merge
Date: 2020-07-23 10:50:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 2:37 PM Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
<jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:34:57 +0200
> Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 15:29:00 +0530
> >
> > I'll send a patch proposal for Gather Merge on HEAD tomorrow.
>
> Please, find in attachment the patch to release Gather Merge workers as soon as
> they are exhausted.

Okay, thanks. I'll take care of this after pushing the bug-fix patch.

> I was wondering how interesting it would be to release each worker individually
> of each others? This might be interesting for long running queries and/or large
> number of workers. This would apply to Gather as well. Do you think it worth to
> give it try? Maybe it has already been discussed in the past?

I am not sure if that would buy us much because the workers exit as
soon as their work is done. So now accumulating the stats for each
individual worker and ensuring it is gone separately would be more
work without much gain.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.