Re: what to revert

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: what to revert
Date: 2016-05-04 04:28:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> There are a lot more than 2 patchsets that are busted at the moment,
> >> unfortunately, but I assume you are referring to "snapshot too old"
> >> and "Use Foreign Key relationships to infer multi-column join
> >> selectivity".
> >
> > Yeah, those are the ones I'm thinking of. I've not heard serious
> > proposals to revert any others, have you?
>
> Here's a list of what I think is currently broken in 9.6 that we might
> conceivably fix by reverting patches:

Yes, that would be a way forward for 9.6 if we are not able to close
blocking open items before beta1. However, I think it would be bad if we
miss some of the below listed important features like snapshot_too_old or
atomic pin/unpin for 9.6. Can we consider to postpone beta1, so that the
patch authors get time to resolve blocking issues? I think there could be
a strong argument that it is just a waste of time if the situation doesn't
improve much even after delay, but it seems we can rely on people involved
in those patch sets to make a progress.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.