Re: speed up a logical replica setup

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Date: 2024-01-12 03:35:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 4:30 AM Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com> wrote:

> 3.
> Options -o/-O were added to specify options for publications/subscriptions.
>

> Flexibility is cool. However, I think the cost benefit of it is not good. You
> have to parse the options to catch preliminary errors. Things like publish only
> delete and subscription options that conflicts with the embedded ones are
> additional sources of failure.

Yeah, I am also not sure we need those. Did we discussed about that
previously? OTOH, we may consider to enhance this tool later if we
have user demand for such options.

BTW, I think we need some way to at least drop the existing
subscriptions otherwise the newly created subscriber will attempt to
fetch the data which may not be intended. Ashutosh made an argument
above thread that we need an option for publications as well.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.