Re: Move global variables of pgoutput to plugin private scope.

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move global variables of pgoutput to plugin private scope.
Date: 2023-09-27 04:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 9:46 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 09:39:19AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 9:10 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> >> Err, actually, I am going to disagree here for the patch of HEAD. It
> >> seems to me that there is zero need for pgoutput.h and we don't need
> >> to show PGOutputData to the world. The structure is internal to
> >> Pgoutput.c and used only by its internal static routines.
> >
> > Do you disagree with the approach for the PG16 patch or HEAD? You
> > mentioned HEAD but your argument sounds like you disagree with a
> > different approach for PG16.
>
> Only HEAD where the structure should be moved from pgoutput.h to
> pgoutput.c, IMO.

It's like that from the beginning. Now, even if we want to move, your
suggestion is not directly related to this patch as we are just
changing one field, and that too to fix a bug. We should start a
separate thread to gather a broader consensus if we want to move the
exposed structure to an internal file.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.