Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Date: 2022-11-07 05:02:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 10:02 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Or I think we can use locktag_field2 for remote xid and locktag_field3
> > > for local xid.
> > >

> > We can do that way as well but OTOH, I think for the local
> > transactions we don't need subscription oid, so field1 could be
> > InvalidOid and field2 will be xid of local xact. Won't that be better?
>
> This would work. But I'm a bit concerned that we cannot identify which
> subscriptions the lock belongs to when checking pg_locks view.

Fair point. I think if the user wants, she can join with
pg_stat_subscription based on PID and find the corresponding
subscription. However, if we want to identify everything via pg_locks
then I think we should also mention classid or database id as field1.
So, it would look like: field1: (pg_subscription's oid or current db
id); field2: OID of subscription in pg_subscription; field3: local or
remote xid; field4: 0/1 to differentiate between remote and local xid.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.