Re: Tables getting stuck at 's' state during logical replication

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Padmavathi G <padma9(dot)9(dot)1999(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tables getting stuck at 's' state during logical replication
Date: 2023-05-05 10:34:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 3:04 PM Padmavathi G <padma9(dot)9(dot)1999(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying out logical replication for upgrading postgres instance from version 11 to 15.x. In the process, I noticed that some tables get stuck in the 's' state during logical replication and they do not move to the 'r' state. I tried to drop the subscription and create a new subscriber, but the same thing repeated. Also, each time different tables get stuck, it is not like the same tables get stuck every time.

This is strange. BTW, we don't save slots after the upgrade, so the
subscriptions in the upgraded node won't be valid. We have some
discussion on this topic in threads [1][2]. So, I think after the
upgrade one needs to anyway re-create the subscriptions. Can you share
your exact steps for the upgrade and what is the state before the
upgrade? Is it possible to share some minimal test case to show the
exact problem you are facing?

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20230217075433.u5mjly4d5cr4hcfe%40jrouhaud
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/TYAPR01MB58664C81887B3AF2EB6B16E3F5939%40TYAPR01MB5866.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com

--