Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics
Date: 2015-12-13 14:05:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> On 2015-12-11 15:56:46 +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> >
> > Yes, there is a cycle with retries in LWLockAcquire function. The case
of
> > retry is when waiter is waked up, but someone other steal the lock
before
> > him. Lock waiter is waked up by lock releaser only when lock becomes
free.
> > But in the case of high concurrency for shared lock, it almost never
> > becomes free. So, exclusive locker would be never waked up. I'm pretty
sure
> > this happens on big Intel machine while we do the benchmark. So,
relying on
> > number of retries wouldn't work in this case.
> > I'll do the tests to verify if retries happens in our case.

makes sense and if retries never happen, then I think changing
LWLockRelease()
such that it should wake the waiters if there are waiters on a lock and it
has not
waked them for some threshold number of times or something like that might
work.

> I seriously doubt that making lwlocks fairer is the right way to go
> here. In my testing the "unfairness" is essential to performance - the
> number of context switches otherwise increases massively.

Agreed, if the change being discussed hurts in any kind of scenario, then
we should better not do it, OTOH the case described by Alexander seems
to be genuine and I have seen similar complaint by customer in the past
for another database I worked with and the reason for the problem is same.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.