Re: maintenance_work_mem used by Vacuum

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: maintenance_work_mem used by Vacuum
Date: 2019-10-12 11:44:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:49 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 5:13 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > That's right, but OTOH, if the user specifies gin_pending_list_limit
> > as an option during Create Index with a value greater than GUC
> > gin_pending_list_limit, then also we will face the same problem. It
> > seems to me that we haven't thought enough on memory usage during Gin
> > pending list cleanup and I don't want to independently make a decision
> > to change it. So unless the original author/committer or some other
> > people who have worked in this area share their opinion, we can leave
> > it as it is and make a parallel vacuum patch adapt to it.
>
> Yeah I totally agreed.
>
> Apart from the GIN problem can we discuss whether need to change the
> current memory usage policy of parallel utility command described in
> the doc? We cannot control the memory usage in index AM after all but
> we need to generically consider how much memory is used during
> parallel vacuum.

Do you mean to say change the docs for a parallel vacuum patch in this
regard? If so, I think we might want to do something for
maintenance_work_mem for parallel vacuum as described in one of the
emails above [1] and then change the docs accordingly.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1JhpNsTiHj%2BJOy3N8uCGyTBMH8xDhUEtBw8ZeCAPRGp6Q%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.