Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Suraj Kharage <suraj(dot)kharage(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, Ahsan Hadi <ahsan(dot)hadi(at)gmail(dot)com>, Asif Rehman <asifr(dot)rehman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kashif Zeeshan <kashif(dot)zeeshan(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup
Date: 2020-04-30 10:45:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 6:11 PM Suraj Kharage
<suraj(dot)kharage(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We at EnterpriseDB did some performance testing around this parallel backup to check how this is beneficial and below are the results. In this testing, we run the backup -
> 1) Without Asif’s patch
> 2) With Asif’s patch and combination of workers 1,2,4,8.
>
> We run those test on two setup
>
> 1) Client and Server both on the same machine (Local backups)
>
> 2) Client and server on a different machine (remote backups)
>

> Machine details:
>
> 1: Server (on which local backups performed and used as server for remote backups)
>
> 2: Client (Used as a client for remote backups)

> Client & Server on the same machine, the result shows around 50% improvement in parallel run with worker 4 and 8. We don’t see the huge performance improvement with more workers been added.
>

> Whereas, when the client and server on a different machine, we don’t see any major benefit in performance. This testing result matches the testing results posted by David Zhang up thread.
>

> We ran the test for 100GB backup with parallel worker 4 to see the CPU usage and other information. What we noticed is that server is consuming the CPU almost 100% whole the time and pg_stat_activity shows that server is busy with ClientWrite most of the time.

Was this for a setup where the client and server were on the same
machine or where the client was on a different machine? If it was for
the case where both are on the same machine, then ideally, we should
see ClientRead events in a similar proportion?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.