Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Alexey Lesovsky <lesovsky(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Date: 2021-12-16 02:42:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 8:19 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 1:10 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > We don't expect such usage but yes, it could happen and seems not
> > > good. I thought we can acquire Share lock on pg_subscription during
> > > the skip but not sure it's a good idea. It would be better if we can
> > > find a way to allow users to specify only XID that has failed.
> > >

> > Yeah, but as we don't have a definite way to allow specifying only
> > failed XID, I think it is better to use share lock on that particular
> > subscription. We are already using it for add/update rel state (see,
> > AddSubscriptionRelState, UpdateSubscriptionRelState), so this will be
> > another place to use a similar technique.
>
> Yes, but it seems to mean that we disallow users to change skip_xid
> while the apply worker is skipping changes so we will end up having
> the same problem we discussed so far;

I thought we just want to lock before clearing the skip_xid something
like take the lock, check if the skip_xid in the catalog is the same
as we have skipped, if it is the same then clear it, otherwise, leave
it as it is. How will that disallow users to change skip_xid when we
are skipping changes?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.