Re: FPW compression leaks information

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FPW compression leaks information
Date: 2015-04-13 02:39:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:

> All in all, this is a bit clumsy and very time-consuming to pull off in
practice, but it's possible at least if the conditions are just right.

> What should we do about this? Make it configurable on a per-table basis?

I think making it configurable on a per-table basis have another advantage
of controlling impact of FPW compression for tables that have less
compressible data (there is a CPU overhead of compression even though
it doesn't actually compress much). In-fact I had added such an option
during development of another related patch (WAL compression for Update),
if we think it is useful, I can extract that part of the patch and rebase
it.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.