Re: relation OID in ReorderBufferToastReplace error message

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeremy Schneider <schnjere(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: relation OID in ReorderBufferToastReplace error message
Date: 2021-09-21 05:14:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 10:53 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I don't think it is a bad idea to print additional information as you
> are suggesting but why only for this error? It could be useful to
> investigate any other error we get during decoding. I think normally
> we add such additional information via error_context. We have recently
> added/enhanced it for apply-workers, see commit [1].
>
> I think here we should just print the relation name in the error
> message you pointed out and then work on adding additional information
> via error context as a separate patch. What do you think?

Attached please find the patch which just modifies the current error
message as proposed by you. I am planning to commit it in a day or two
unless there are comments or any other suggestions.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Add-parent-table-name-in-an-error-in-reorderbuffe.patch application/octet-stream 1.3 KB