Re: Setting pd_lower in GIN metapage

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting pd_lower in GIN metapage
Date: 2017-09-11 01:48:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Coordinating efforts here would be nice. If you, Amit K, are taking
>>> care of a patch for btree and hash
>
>> I think here we should first agree on what we want to do. Based on
>> Tom's comment, I was thinking of changing comments in btree/hash part
>> and additionally for hash indexes, I can see if we can pass
>> REGBUF_STANDARD for all usages of metapage. I am not sure if we want
>> similar exercise for btree as well.
>
> FWIW, now that we've noticed the discrepancy, I'm for using
> REGBUF_STANDARD or equivalent for all metapage calls. Even if it
> saves no space, inconsistency is bad because it's confusing.

Agreed. However, I feel there is no harm in doing in two patches, one
for hash/btree and second for all other indexes (or maybe separate
patches for them as well; I haven't yet looked into the work involved
for other indexes) unless you prefer to do it all at a one-shot.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.