Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Date: 2023-11-29 13:42:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 2:59 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> I have been hacking on improving the improvements outlined in my
> preceding e-mail, but I have some bad news - I ran into an issue that I
> don't know how to solve :-(
>
> Consider this transaction:
>
> BEGIN;
> ALTER SEQUENCE s RESTART 1000;
>
> SAVEPOINT s1;
> ALTER SEQUENCE s RESTART 2000;
> ROLLBACK TO s1;
>
> INSERT INTO seq_test SELECT nextval('s') FROM generate_series(1,40);
> COMMIT;
>
> If you try this with the approach relying on rd_newRelfilelocatorSubid
> and rd_createSubid, it fails like this on the subscriber:
>
> ERROR: could not map filenode "base/5/16394" to relation OID
>
> This happens because ReorderBufferQueueSequence tries to do this in the
> non-transactional branch:
>
> reloid = RelidByRelfilenumber(rlocator.spcOid, rlocator.relNumber);
>
> and the relfilenode is the one created by the first ALTER. But this is
> obviously wrong - the changes should have been treated as transactional,
> because they are tied to the first ALTER. So how did we get there?
>
> Well, the whole problem is that in case of abort, AtEOSubXact_cleanup
> resets the two fields to InvalidSubTransactionId. Which means the
> rollback in the above transaction also forgets about the first ALTER.
> Now that I look at the RelationData comments, it actually describes
> exactly this situation:
>
> *
> * rd_newRelfilelocatorSubid is the ID of the highest subtransaction
> * the most-recent relfilenumber change has survived into or zero if
> * not changed in the current transaction (or we have forgotten
> * changing it). This field is accurate when non-zero, but it can be
> * zero when a relation has multiple new relfilenumbers within a
> * single transaction, with one of them occurring in a subsequently
> * aborted subtransaction, e.g.
> * BEGIN;
> * TRUNCATE t;
> * SAVEPOINT save;
> * TRUNCATE t;
> * ROLLBACK TO save;
> * -- rd_newRelfilelocatorSubid is now forgotten
> *
>
> The root of this problem is that we'd need some sort of "history" for
> the field, so that when a subxact aborts, we can restore the previous
> value. But we obviously don't have that, and I doubt we want to add that
> to relcache - for example, it'd either need to impose some limit on the
> history (and thus a failure when we reach the limit), or it'd need to
> handle histories of arbitrary length.

Yeah, I think that would be really tricky and we may not want to go there.

> At this point I don't see a solution for this, which means the best way
> forward with the sequence decoding patch seems to be the original
> approach, on the decoding side.

One thing that worries me about that approach is that it can suck with
the workload that has a lot of DDLs that create XLOG_SMGR_CREATE
records. We have previously fixed some such workloads in logical
decoding where decoding a transaction containing truncation of a table
with a lot of partitions (1000 or more) used to take a very long time.
Don't we face performance issues in such scenarios?

How do we see this work w.r.t to some sort of global sequences? There
is some recent discussion where I have raised a similar point [1].

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1JF%3D4_Eoq7FFjHSe98-_ooJ5QWd0s2_pj8gR%2B_dvwKxvA%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.