Re: Hang in pldebugger after git commit : 98a64d0

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hang in pldebugger after git commit : 98a64d0
Date: 2016-12-15 09:17:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> Hi,

>> Ashutosh, could you try it and see if it improves things?
>
> So what's the theory of why this triggers pldebugger hangs, but
> apparently causes not many other problems?

The theory is that with pldebugger latch event gets triggered before
FD_READ due to which it seems like the second event gets lost and
WaitForMultipleObjects() keeps on waiting indefinitely. The probable
reason is that we fail to reset the event due to which we are seeing
this behavior. That seems to be required as per msdn as well, as
pointed by Robert upthread.

Find attached patch to implement the resetting of event only for the
required case. This fixes the reported problem.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
reset_wait_events_v1.patch application/octet-stream 2.8 KB