Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Date: 2022-12-09 06:05:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 7:45 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 7:43 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > But I feel it is better to isolate this code in a separate function.
> > > What if we decide to extend it further by having some logic to stop
> > > workers after reloading of config?
> >
> > I think we can separate the function at that time. But let's keep the
> > current code as you and Hou agree with the current code. I'm not going
> > to insist on that.

> > > What if we decide to send some more additional information as part of
> > > another patch like we are discussing in the thread [1]? Now, we won't
> > > be able to decide the version number based on just the streaming
> > > option. Also, in such a case, even for
> > > LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_PARALLEL_VERSION_NUM, it may not be a good
> > > idea to send additional abort information unless the user has used the
> > > streaming=parallel option.
> >
> > If we're going to send the additional information, it makes sense to
> > send streaming=parallel. But the next question came to me is why do we
> > need to increase the protocol version for parallel apply feature? If
> > sending the additional information is also controlled by an option
> > like "streaming", we can decide what we send based on these options,
> > no?
> >

> AFAIK the protocol version defines what protocol message bytes are
> transmitted on the wire. So I thought the protocol version should
> *always* be updated whenever the message format changes. In other
> words, I don't think we ought to be transmitting different protocol
> message formats unless it is a different protocol version.
>
> Whether the pub/sub implementation actually needs to check that
> protocol version or whether we happen to have some alternative knob we
> can check doesn't change what the protocol version is supposed to
> mean. And the PGDOCS [1] and [2] currently have clear field notes
> about when those fields are present (e.g. "This field is available
> since protocol version XXX"), but if hypothetically you don't change
> the protocol version for some new fields then now the message format
> becomes tied to the built-in implementation of pub/sub -- now what
> field note will you say instead to explain that?

I think the protocol version acts as a backstop to not send some
information which clients don't understand. Now, the other way is to
believe the client when it sends a particular option (say streaming =
on (aka allow sending in-progress transactions)) that it will
understand additional information for that feature but the protocol
version acts as a backstop in that case. As Peter mentioned, it will
be easier to explain the additional information we are sending across
different versions without relying on additional options for pub/sub.
Having said that, we can send additional required information based on
just the new option but I felt it is better to bump the protocol
version along with it unless we see any downside to it. What do you
think?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.