Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics
Date: 2016-02-29 02:56:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> > Interesting. I'll try to reproduce it.
>>
>> Any progress here?
>

> In Multi socket machine with 8 sockets and 64 cores, I have seen more
regression compared to my previous run in power8 with 2 socket, currently I
tested Read only workload for 5 mins Run, When I get time, I will run for
longer time and confirm again.

Have you tried by reverting the commits 6150a1b0 and ac1d794, which I think
effects read-only performance and sometimes create variation in TPS across
different runs, here second might have less impact, but first one could
impact performance? Is it possible for you to get perf data with and
without patch and share with others?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.