Re: Replication slot stats misgivings

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Replication slot stats misgivings
Date: 2021-04-28 03:29:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 11:02 AM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 9:48 AM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> Attached patch has the changes to update statistics during
> spill/stream which prevents the statistics from being lost during
> interrupt.

void
-UpdateDecodingStats(LogicalDecodingContext *ctx)
+UpdateDecodingStats(ReorderBuffer *rb)

I don't think you need to change this interface because
reorderbuffer->private_data points to LogicalDecodingContext. See
StartupDecodingContext. Other than that there is a comment in the code
"Update the decoding stats at transaction prepare/commit/abort...".
This patch should extend that comment by saying something like
"Additionally we send the stats when we spill or stream the changes to
avoid losing them in case the decoding is interrupted."

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.