Re: Pluggable storage

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: AJG <ayden(at)gera(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable storage
Date: 2018-06-19 03:59:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:13 AM, AJG <ayden(at)gera(dot)co(dot)nz> wrote:
> @Amit
>
> Re: Vacuum etc.
>
> Chrome V8 just released this blog post around concurrent marking, which may
> be of interest considering how cpu limited the browser is. Contains
> benchmark numbers etc in post as well.
>
> https://v8project.blogspot.com/2018/06/concurrent-marking.html
>
> "This post describes the garbage collection technique called concurrent
> marking. The optimization allows a JavaScript application to continue
> execution while the garbage collector scans the heap to find and mark live
> objects. Our benchmarks show that concurrent marking reduces the time spent
> marking on the main thread by 60%–70%"

Thanks for sharing the link, but I don't think it is not directly
related to the work we are doing, but feel free to discuss it on zheap
thread [1] or even you can start a new thread, because it appears more
like some general technique to improve GC (garbage collection) rather
than something directly related zheap (or undo) technology.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1%2BYtM5vxzSM2NZm%2BpC37MCwyvtkmJrO_yRBQeZDp9Wa2w%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.