Re: es_query_dsa is broken

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: es_query_dsa is broken
Date: 2017-12-06 09:16:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 1:14 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> + EState *estate = gatherstate->ps.state;
>> +
>> + /* Install our DSA area while executing the plan. */
>> + estate->es_query_dsa = gatherstate->pei->area;
>> outerTupleSlot = ExecProcNode(outerPlan);
>> + estate->es_query_dsa = NULL;
>>
>> Won't the above coding pattern create a problem, if ExecProcNode
>> throws an error and outer block catches it and continues execution
>> (consider the case of execution inside PL blocks)?
>
> I don't see what the problem is. The query that got aborted by the
> error wouldn't be sharing an EState with one that didn't.

That's right. Ignore my comment, I got confused. Other than that, I
don't see any problem with the code as such apart from that it looks
slightly hacky. I think Thomas or someone needs to develop a patch on
the lines you have mentioned or what Thomas was trying to describe in
his email and see how it comes out.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.