Re: Documentation patch for ALTER SUBSCRIPTION

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2020-02-05 08:19:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 8:44 AM David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com> wrote:

> >> On Feb 4, 2020, at 8:45 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 2:05 AM David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com> wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >> Enclosed find a documentation patch that clarifies the behavior of ALTER SUBSCRIPTION … REFRESH PUBLICATION with new tables; I ran into a situation today where the docs were not clear that existing tables would not be re-copied, so remedying this situation.
> >
> > It seems this is already covered in REFRESH PUBLICATION, see "This
> > will start replication of tables that were added to the subscribed-to
> > publications since the last invocation of REFRESH PUBLICATION or since
> > CREATE SUBSCRIPTION.". As far as I understand, this text explains the
> > situation you were facing. Can you explain why the text quoted by me
> > is not sufficient?
>
> Hi Amit,
>
> From several reads of the text it was not explicitly clear to me that when you issued the copy_data that it would not effectively recopy existing tables in the existing publication, which I had been trying to confirm was not the case prior to running a refresh operation. I had to resort to reviewing the source code to get the answer I was looking for.
>
> If you are already familiar with the operation under the hood I am sure the ambiguity is not there but since I was recently confused by this I wanted to be more explicit in a way that would have helped me answer my original question.

It is possible that one might not understand how this option works by
reading the already existing text in docs, but I think writing in a
different language the same thing also doesn't seem advisable. I
think if we want to explain it better, then maybe a succinct example
at the end of the page might be helpful.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.