Re: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node
Date: 2023-08-14 05:21:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 8:32 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Based on recent discussions, I updated the patch set. I did not reply one by one
> because there are many posts, but thank you for giving many suggestion!
>
> Followings shows what I changed.
>
> 1.
> This feature is now enabled by default. Instead "--exclude-logical-replication-slots"
> was added. (Per suggestions like [1])

AFAICS, we don't have any concrete agreement on such an option but my
vote is to not have such an option as we don't have any similar option
for any other object. I understand that it could be convenient for
some use cases where some of the logical slots are not yet caught up
w.r.t WAL and users want to upgrade without the slots but not sure if
that is really the case. Does anyone else have an opinion on this
point?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.