Re: Failed transaction statistics to measure the logical replication progress

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Failed transaction statistics to measure the logical replication progress
Date: 2021-12-14 02:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 5:48 PM osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> On Monday, December 13, 2021 6:19 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com
> > <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Few questions and comments:
> Thank you for your comments !

> > + copy of the subscribed tables. Also, the row corresponding to the apply
> > + worker shows all transaction statistics of both types of workers on the
> > + subscription. The statistics entry is removed when the corresponding
> > + subscription is dropped.
> >
> > Why did you choose to show stats for both types of workers in one row?
> This is because if we have hundreds or thousands of tables for table sync,
> we need to create many entries to cover them and store the entries for all tables.

If we fear a large number of entries for such workers then won't it be
better to show the value of these stats only for apply workers. I
think normally the table sync workers perform only copy operation or
maybe a fixed number of xacts, so, one might not be interested in the
transaction stats of these workers. I find merging only specific stats
of two different types of workers confusing.

What do others think about this?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.