Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Alexey Lesovsky <lesovsky(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Date: 2021-12-09 02:47:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 4:36 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 5:54 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > But in case of a crash between these two transactions, given that
> > > skip_xid is already cleared how do we know the prepared transaction
> > > that was supposed to be skipped?
> > >

> > I was thinking of doing it as one transaction at the time of
> > commit_prepare. Say, in function apply_handle_commit_prepared(), if we
> > check whether the skip_xid is the same as prepare_data.xid then update
> > the catalog and set origin_lsn/timestamp in the same transaction. Why
> > do we need two transactions for it?
>
> I meant the two transactions are the prepared transaction and the
> transaction that updates the catalog. If I understand your idea
> correctly, in apply_handle_commit_prepared(), we update the catalog
> and set origin_lsn/timestamp. These are done in the same transaction.
> Then, we commit the prepared transaction, right?

I am thinking that we can start a transaction, update the catalog,
commit that transaction. Then start a new one to update
origin_lsn/timestamp, finishprepared, and commit it. Now, if it
crashes after the first transaction, only commit prepared will be
resent again and this time we don't need to update the catalog as that
entry would be already cleared.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.