Re: add log messages when replication slots become active and inactive (was Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?)

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add log messages when replication slots become active and inactive (was Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?)
Date: 2023-03-22 06:03:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 10:39 AM Bharath Rupireddy
<bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 6:31 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Here's the v6 patch, a much simpler one - no changes to any of the
> > existing function APIs. Please see the sample logs at [1]. There's a
> > bit of duplicate code in the v6 patch, if the overall approach looks
> > okay, I can remove that too in the next version of the patch.
>
> I modified the log_replication_commands description in guc_tables.c.
> Please review the v7 patch further.

I see that you have modified the patch to address the comments from
Alvaro. Personally, I feel it would be better to add such a message at
a centralized location instead of spreading these in different callers
of slot acquire/release functionality to avoid getting these missed in
the new callers in the future. However, if Alvaro and others think
that the current style is better then we should go ahead and do it
that way. I hope that we should be able to decide on this and get it
into PG16. Anyone else would like to weigh in here?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.