Re: make default TABLESPACE belong to target table.

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: make default TABLESPACE belong to target table.
Date: 2016-11-26 12:11:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Michael Paquier
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Amos Bird <amosbird(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> How about making a storage parameter "default_tablespace" that also
>> covers CREATE INDEX and other stuff?
>
> That's exactly the idea, the one at relation-level gets priority on
> the global one defined in postgresql.conf.

What will such a storage parameter (default_tablespace) mean at table
level and how it will different from existing default_tablespace? I
think the usage asked by Amos is quite genuine, but not sure if
introducing default_tablespace as a storage level parameter is the
best way to address it. Another way could be that we allow the user
to specify something like tablespace_name <inherit parent>/<inherit
table> or something like that.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.