Re: sidewinder has one failure

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mikael Kjellström <mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)mksoft(dot)nu>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sidewinder has one failure
Date: 2020-01-03 13:33:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 6:34 PM Mikael Kjellström
<mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)mksoft(dot)nu> wrote:

> On 2020-01-03 13:01, Amit Kapila wrote:
>
> > 2020-01-02 19:51:05.687 CET [24138:3] FATAL: insufficient file
> > descriptors available to start server process
> > 2020-01-02 19:51:05.687 CET [24138:4] DETAIL: System allows 19, we
> > need at least 20.
> > 2020-01-02 19:51:05.687 CET [24138:5] LOG: database system is shut down
> >
> > Here, I think it is clear that the failure happens because we are
> > setting the value of max_files_per_process as 26 which is low for this
> > machine. It seems to me that the reason it is failing is that before
> > reaching set_max_safe_fds, it has already seven open files. Now, I
> > see on my CentOS system, the value of already_open files is 3, 6 and 6
> > respectively for versions HEAD, 12 and 10. We can easily see the
> > number of already opened files by changing the error level from DEBUG2
> > to LOG for elog message in set_max_safe_fds. It is not very clear to
> > me how many files we can expect to be kept open during startup? Can
> > the number vary on different setups?
>
> Hm, where does it get the limit from? Is it something we set?
>
> Why is this machine different from everybody else when it comes to this
> limit?

The problem we are seeing on this machine is that I think we have
seven files opened before we reach function set_max_safe_fds during
startup. Now, it is not clear to me why it is opening extra file(s)
during start-up as compare to other machines. I think this kind of
problem could occur if one has set shared_preload_libraries and via
that, some file is getting opened which is not closed or there is some
other configuration due to which this extra file is getting opened.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.