Re: BUG #6535: LEFT JOIN on large table is altering data

From: Aren Cambre <aren(at)arencambre(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6535: LEFT JOIN on large table is altering data
Date: 2012-03-18 19:59:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thanks. While creating that very file, I discovered that 1 row had blanks
in every field despite a column having a *NOT NULL* constraint and another
column being a* *serial. Removing that column appears to fixed the problem.

Something about that column made Postgres unhappy, though. If I ran these
queries:

SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM consistent.master
WHERE citation_id IS NOT NULL
UNION
SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM consistent.master
UNION
SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM consistent.master
WHERE citation_id IS NULL

I got this result:

2085344
2085343
0

Not clear how adding a WHERE clause, whose only practical effect is to
reduce the number of rows returned, could cause *more* rows to be returned.
That seems buggy to me.

Aren