Re: Re: Group role not shown in properties > Default Privileges after adding it

From: Aren Cambre <aren(at)arencambre(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Subject: Re: Re: Group role not shown in properties > Default Privileges after adding it
Date: 2012-05-28 14:55:17
Lists: pgadmin-support

> This doesn't make sense. If I create a login role, it should show up here
>> and allow me to assign it to arbitrary tables.
>>

> That's intentional (and configurable): see
> http://www.pgadmin.org/support/faq.php#UserPrivileges

Argh, thanks. Now I remember running into this before.

This needs to be more clearly explained in the UI. I am an IT pro, and I
totally understand the best practice of assigning groups and not users. But
if you are imposing this rule on us, you need to make this clear in the UI
and not send users on a wild goose chase. In this case, neither the UI nor
the pgAdmin docs clearly explained this. I'd have to troll through a FAQ to
figure it out.

In my case, I am the only user of the DB, and there are a small number of
accounts, so it's much easier for me to directly assign users.

In the end, this is just a recommended practice, not a Postgres rule. The
UI should not make our lives miserable if we don't want to follow the
recommendation.

Aren