Re: Command Triggers patch v18

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command Triggers patch v18
Date: 2012-03-29 15:49:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29 March 2012 16:30, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:

>>> Is it necessary to add this complexity in this version?  Can't we keep
>>> it simple but in a way that allows the addition of this later?  The
>>> testing of all these new combinations sounds like a lot of work.
>>
>> I concur.  This is way more complicated than we should be trying to do
>> in version 1.
>
> I'm at a loss here. This proposal was so that we can reach a commonly
> agreed minimal solution and design in first version. There's no new
> piece of infrastructure to add, the syntax is changed only to open the
> road for later, I'm not changing where the current command triggers are
> to be called (except for those which are misplaced).
>
> So, please help me here: what do we want to have in 9.3?

Perhaps I misunderstood. It was the addition of the fine-grained even
options (parse, execute etc) I saw as new. If you're saying those are
just possible options for later that won't be in this version, I'm
fine with that. If those are to make it for 9.2, then creating the
necessary test cases and possible fixes sounds infeasible in such a
short space of time. Please disregard if this is not the case.

--
Thom