Re: New options dialog

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New options dialog
Date: 2011-08-15 09:39:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 15 August 2011 10:29, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 09:40 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> > <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > At pgday.eu 2010, Dave and I discussed about the options dialog. We
> > > would like to make it look like the Visual Studio options dialog.
> > > Something like this one:
> > >
> > > http://www.timvw.be/wp-content/images/msbuildverbosity.gif
> > >
> > > So, tonight, I've been thinking about it and how to use the treeview,
> > > and here is what I propose:
> > >
> > > General
> > > Help path
> > > (PG help path, EDB help path, GP help path, Slony help path)
> > > Binaries path
> > > (PG bin path, EDB bin path, GP bin path, Slony bin path,
> > > Ignore server/utility version mismatches)
> > > Miscellanous
> > > (System schemas)
> > > Browser
> > > Display
> > > (list of objects, Default button)
> > > Properties
> > > Table
> > > (Count rows if estimated less than)
> > > Miscellanous
> > > (Font, Confirm object deletion, Show system objects in the
> > > treeview, Show users for privileges, Show object properties on
> > > double click in the treeview)
> > > Query tool
> > > Query editor
> > > (Font, Indent characters, Use spaces instead of tabs, Copy SQL
> > > from main window to query tool)
> > > Results grid
> > > (Result copy quoting, Result copy quote character, Result copy
> > > field seperator, Show NULL values as <NULL>)
> > > Query file
> > > (Read and write Unicode UTF-8 files, Write BOM for UTF files,
> > > Do not prompt for unsaved files on exit)
> > > Favourites
> > > (File path)
> > > Macros
> > > (File path)
> > >
> > > History file
> > > (File path, Maximum queries to store, Maximum size of a stored
> > > query)
> > > pgAgent
> > > (Maximum rows to retrieve)
> > > Colours
> > > Foreground/Background
> > > Caret
> > > Syntax highlighting
> > > Status Window
> > > Miscellanous
> > > Guru hints
> > > (Do not show gutu hints; Reset guru hints)
> > > Logging
> > > (Logfile, Log level)
> > >
> > > Comments?
> >
> > Seems OK.
> >

> Here it is. Patch attached, and a few screenshots.

Nice work Guillaume. I didn't see the original discussion about this so I
didn't have any expectations, but this looks really good. This also means
the options dialogue is able to add as many options as are needed in future
without cramming them all in one tab, or having dozens of tabs to scroll
through.

+1

So this is effectively the same way that LibreOffice/OpenOffice does it :)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company