Unaccent characters

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Subject: Unaccent characters
Date: 2012-04-20 08:15:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I had a look at the unaccent.rules file and noticed the following
characters aren't properly converted:

ß (U+00DF) An eszett represents a double-s "SS" but this replaces it
with one "S". Shouldn't this be replace with "SS"?

Æ (U+00C6) and æ (U+00E6) These doesn't have an accent, diacritic or
anything added to a single latin character. It's simply a ligature of
"A" and "E" or "a" and "e". If someone has the text "æther", I would
imagine they'd be surprised at it being converted to "ather" instead
of "aether".

Œ (U+0152) and œ (U+0153). Same as above. This is a ligature of "O"
and "E" or "o" and "e". Except this time the unaccent module chooses
the 2nd character instead of the 1st which is confusing.

If these were properly converted it would change the length of the
text, so I'm wondering if that's the reason for not properly
converting them. Could someone elaborate?

--
Thom