Re: RLS Design

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Brightwell, Adam" <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Yeb Havinga <yeb(dot)havinga(at)portavita(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: RLS Design
Date: 2014-09-19 16:45:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 19 September 2014 17:32, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> Thom,
>
> Thanks!
>
> * Thom Brown (thom(at)linux(dot)com) wrote:
> > On 14 September 2014 16:38, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > # create policy visible_colours on colours for all to joe using (visible
> =
> > true);
> > CREATE POLICY
> [...]
> > > insert into colours (name, visible) values ('transparent',false);
> > ERROR: new row violates WITH CHECK OPTION for "colours"
> > DETAIL: Failing row contains (7, transparent, f).
> >
> > > select * from pg_policies ;
> > policyname | tablename | roles | cmd | qual |
> with_check
> >
> -----------------+-----------+-------+-----+------------------+------------
> > visible_colours | colours | {joe} | ALL | (visible = true) |
> > (1 row)
> >
> > There was no WITH CHECK OPTION.
>
> As I hope is clear if you look at the documentation- if the WITH CHECK
> clause is omitted, then the USING clause is used for both filtering and
> checking new records, otherwise you'd be able to add records which
> aren't visible to you.

I can see that now, although I do find the error message somewhat
confusing. Firstly, it looks like "OPTION" is part of the parameter name,
which it isn't.

Also, I seem to get an error message with the following:

# create policy nice_colours ON colours for all to joe using (visible =
true) with check (name in ('blue','green','yellow'));
CREATE POLICY

\c - joe

> insert into colours (name, visible) values ('blue',false);
ERROR: function with OID 0 does not exist

And if this did work, but I only violated the USING clause, would this
still say the WITH CHECK clause was the cause?

Thom