Re: Command Triggers, patch v11

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Command Triggers, patch v11
Date: 2012-02-25 12:42:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25 February 2012 12:07, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> On 25 February 2012 12:00, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>
> D'oh, just as I sent some more queries...
>
>> Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> writes:
>>> Is there any reason why the list of commands that command triggers can
>>> be used with isn't in alphabetical order?  Also it appears to show
>>
>> Any reason why?  I don't suppose it's really important one way or the
>> other, so I'm waiting on some more voices before working on it.
>
> Just so it's easy to scan.  If someone is looking for CREATE CAST,
> they'd kind of expect it near the drop of the CREATE list, but it's
> actually toward the bottom.  It just looks random at the moment.
>
>>> The ALTER COMMAND TRIGGER page also doesn't show which commands it can
>>> be used against.  Perhaps, rather than repeat the list, there could be
>>> a note to say that a list of valid commands can be found on the CREATE
>>> COMMAND TRIGGER page?
>>
>> Well you can only alter a command that you were successful in creating,
>> right?  So I'm not sure that's needed here.  By that count though, I
>> maybe should remove the supported command list from DROP COMMAND TRIGGER
>> reference page?
>
> Sure, that would be more consistent.  You're right, it's not needed.
> It just seemed odd that one of the statements lacked what both others
> had.

Yet another comment... (I should have really started looking at this
at an earlier stage)

It seems that if one were to enforce a naming convention for relations
as shown in the 2nd example for CREATE COMMAND TRIGGER, it could be
circumvented by someone using CREATE TABLE name AS...

test=# CREATE TABLE badname (id int, a int, b text);
ERROR: invalid relation name: badname
test=# CREATE TABLE badname AS SELECT 1::int id, 1::int a, ''::text b;
SELECT 1

This doesn't even get picked up by ANY COMMAND.

--
Thom