Re: [HACKERS] Lazy hash table for XidInMVCCSnapshot (helps Zipfian a bit)

From: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: funny(dot)falcon(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, funny(dot)falcon(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Lazy hash table for XidInMVCCSnapshot (helps Zipfian a bit)
Date: 2018-11-04 12:27:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 at 19:58, Yura Sokolov <funny(dot)falcon(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> I didn't change serialized format. Therefore is no need to change
> SerializeSnapshot.
> But in-memory representation were changed, so RestoreSnapshot is changed.

This patch went through the last tree commit fests without any noticeable
activity, but cfbot says it still applies and doesn't break any tests. Taking
into account potential performance improvements, I believe it would be a pity
to stop at this point.

Yura, what're your plans about it? If I understand correctly, there are still
some commentaries, that were not answered from the last few messages. At the
same time can anyone from active reviewers (Tomas, Amit) look at it to agree on
what should be done to push it forward?