Re: Reducing WaitEventSet syscall churn

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing WaitEventSet syscall churn
Date: 2021-02-27 01:48:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 6:10 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> For point 2, the question I am raising is: why should users get a
> special FATAL message in some places and not others, for PM death?
> However, if people are attached to that behaviour, we could still
> achieve goal 1 without goal 2 by handling PM death explicitly in
> walsender.c and I'd be happy to post an alternative patch set like
> that.

Here's the alternative patch set, with no change to existing error
message behaviour. I'm going to commit this version and close this CF
item soon if there are no objections.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v8-0001-Introduce-symbolic-names-for-FeBeWaitSet-position.patch text/x-patch 4.1 KB
v8-0002-Use-FeBeWaitSet-for-walsender.c.patch text/x-patch 4.2 KB