Re: Add client connection check during the execution of the query

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Maksim Milyutin <milyutinma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add client connection check during the execution of the query
Date: 2021-04-01 05:59:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:00 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> If we want to ship this in v14 we have to make a decision ASAP:
>
> 1. Ship the POLLHUP patch (like v9) that only works reliably on
> Linux. Maybe disable the feature completely on other OSes?
> 2. Ship the patch that tries to read (like v7). It should work on
> all systems, but it can be fooled by pipelined commands (though it can
> detect a pipelined 'X').
>
> Personally, I lean towards #2.

I changed my mind. Let's commit the pleasingly simple Linux-only
feature for now, and extend to it to send some kind of no-op message
in a later release. So this is the version I'd like to go with.
Objections?

I moved the GUC into tcop/postgres.c and tcop/tcopprot.h, because it
directly controls postgres.c's behaviour, not pqcomm.c's. The latter
only contains the code to perform the check.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v10-0001-Detect-POLLHUP-POLLRDHUP-while-running-queries.patch text/x-patch 13.3 KB