User feedback requested on temp tables usage for Hot Standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: User feedback requested on temp tables usage for Hot Standby
Date: 2011-10-27 23:13:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Some people have asked for the ability to create temp tables on a Hot
Standby server.

I've got a rough implementation plan but it would have some
restrictions, so I would like to check my understanding of the use
case for this feature so I don't waste time implementing something
nobody actually finds useful.

My understanding is that the main use cases for that would be limited
to these two options only:

1. CREATE TEMP TABLE foo AS SELECT ....

2. CREATE TEMP TABLE foo (..);
INSERT INTO foo ...

and sometimes a TRUNCATE foo;

In almost all cases people don't run multiple INSERTs, nor do they run
UPDATEs or DELETEs, so the above actions would cover 99% of use cases.

Can anyone give backup to that opinion, or alternate viewpoints?

Thanks,