freeze map open item

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: freeze map open item
Date: 2016-07-21 16:16:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The open items list says this:

heap_update sets xmax and infomask without logging the changes or
clearing PD_ALL_VISIBLE or visibility map bits
* volunteer owner wanted
* This has been buggy essentially forever but the freeze map changes
give it new urgency.
* Andres working on committing patches

I believe this issue was fully resolved by
bfa2ab56bb8c512dc8613ee3ff0936568a1c8418. Is that correct?
Regardless, I'd like to extend sincere and heartfelt thanks to Andres
for handling this issue, because I was sure running out of steam (and
time).

Two other issues were discussed on that thread for which no open
issues were created. First, heap_lock_tuple failed to clear the
all-frozen status. I believe that
eca0f1db14ac92d91d54eca8eeff2d15ccd797fa substantially addressed that
issue and therefore it should be added to the list as a resolved
issue. But, second, as noted in further discussion on that thread and
in the commit message, there is an outstanding theoretical problem
which is non-critical but worthy of being fixed. I recommend we open
a new open issue for that, or at least fix it.

Comments?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company