Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date: 2022-03-10 16:48:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 6:02 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have completely changed the logic for this refactoring. Basically,
> write_relmap_file(), is already having parameters to control whether
> to write wal, send inval and we are already passing the dbpath.
> Instead of making a new function I just pass one additional parameter
> to this function itself about whether we are creating a new map or not
> and I think with that changes are very less and this looks cleaner to
> me. Similarly for load_relmap_file() also I just had to pass the
> dbpath and memory for destination map. Please have a look and let me
> know your thoughts.

It's not terrible, but how about something like the attached instead?
I think this has the effect of reducing the number of cases that the
low-level code needs to know about from 2 to 1, instead of making it
go up from 2 to 3.

> I think we should also write the test cases for create database
> strategy. But I do not see any test case for create database for
> testing the existing options. So I am wondering whether we should add
> the test case only for the new option we are providing or we should
> create a separate path which tests the new option as well as the
> existing options.

FWIW, src/bin/scripts/t/020_createdb.pl does a little bit of testing
of this kind.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
relmap-refactor-rmh.patch application/octet-stream 10.0 KB