Re: Simulating Clog Contention

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Simulating Clog Contention
Date: 2012-01-19 18:25:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I feel I've adequate explained why it makes sense to me to separate
>> those options.  If you want, I'll do the work myself; it will take
>> less time than arguing about it.
>
> If you have time to contribute, please use the patch as stands to test
> the other patches in the CF queue.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive; whether or not I spend an hour
whacking this patch around isn't going to have any impact on how much
benchmarking I get done. Benchmarking is mostly waiting, and I can
do other things while the tests are going.

Just to reiterate a point I've made previously, Nate Boley's test
machine was running another big job for several weeks straight, and I
haven't been able to use the machine for anything. It seems to be
unloaded at the moment so I'll try to squeeze in some tests, but I
don't know how long it will stay that way. It's been great to have
nearly unimpeded access to this for most of the cycle, but all good
things must (and do) come to an end. In any event, none of this has
much impact on the offer above, which is a small amount of code that I
will be happy to attend to if you do not wish to do so.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company