Re: automating CF submissions (was xlog location arithmetic)

From: Alex Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: automating CF submissions (was xlog location arithmetic)
Date: 2012-01-19 18:41:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 01/19/2012 12:59 PM, Alex Shulgin wrote:
>
>> Another idea: introduce some simple tag system in mails sent to -hackers
>> to be treated specially, e.g:
>>
>> @fest add-to-current
>>
>> to add new patch to the commit fest currently in progress, or
>>
>> @fest add-to-next
>>
>> to add it to the next scheduled fest.
>>
>> Attribute your mail with
>>
>> @fest comment COMMENT TEXT
>>
>> or
>>
>> @fest comment<<EOF
>> EOF
>>
>> to add a (long) comment, ditto for "patch" and "review".
>>
>> How does that sound?
>>

> Like a recipe for something that requires constant fixups, to be honest.
>
> Seriously, adding something to the CF isn't *that* hard. I like Greg's
> idea of a list of recent emails that you could choose from.

I've just added a comment about a patch and it took me to:

a. Login to commitfest app
b. Locate the patch and review I was replying to
c. Fetch archives thread index, refresh the index page for ~10 minutes
to see my reply appear
d. Copy message id and finally register comment in the commitfest app

(IIRC, something close to that was already described in this thread)

With the proposed approach it would only take me to include

@fest comment "Patch applies cleanly"

and possibly

@fest status Needs Review

to update the patch status and that'd be it.

--
Alex

PS: yes, I could just copy message id from the sent mail in my MUA, but
I like to make sure links I post aren't broke, so still I'll need to
wait until archives catches up to double check.