Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date: 2022-03-24 15:59:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 1:29 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> In the latest version I have fixed this issue by using a non
> conflicting name, because when it was compiled with-icu the foobar5
> was already used and we were seeing failure. Apart from this I have
> fixed the duplicate cleanup problem by passing an extra parameter to
> RelationCreateStorage, which decides whether to register for on-abort
> delete or not and added the comments for the same. IMHO this looks
> the most cleaner way to do it, please check the patch and let me know
> your thoughts.

I think that might be an OK way to do it. I think if we were starting
from scratch we'd probably want to come up with some better system,
but that's true of a lot of things.

I went over your version and changed some comments. I also added
documentation for the new wait event. Here's a new version.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-Add-new-block-by-block-strategy-for-CREATE-DATABA.patch application/octet-stream 67.7 KB