Re: Connecting to postgresql with pdadmin III

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: david(dot)gullever(at)web(dot)de
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting to postgresql with pdadmin III
Date: 2012-01-19 13:05:40
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM, David M. Gullever
<david(dot)gullever(at)web(dot)de> wrote:

> So my pgadmin questions at this stage are...
> 1. Do I have to Add a server before adding a database (and what would be the
> name of the Server)

Yes, and whatever you like - it's just a name for you to identify the
server (i.e. "Development Server" or "HR System").

> 2. Is a password for user postgres mandatory (will pgadmin III fail if no
> password ???)

No. Please see my previous email in which I explained why you cannot
connect and gave a couple of suggestions to make it work as you want.

> Sorry to bother everyone but it doesn't work and there is no documentation.

I have to disagree with both of those points. We get something like
40,000 downloads per week of pgAdmin, and if it didn't work I'm fairly
certain we'd have more than one complaint. There also is
documentation, though I certainly agree it could be much better. We've
made changes for the next major release of pgAdmin that will help with
that by replacing the doc build system to one which allows the docs to
be written in a simple text format, and is capable of generating the
docs in formats like PDF as well as the current HTML/CHM formats that
we use.

> But perhaps instead of getting frustrated perhaps it would be better if I
> should get involved in the pgadmin III documentation project (which I would
> be happy to do, since at the moment there appears to be no .pdf
> documentation). That would save all the irritation of people on the mailing
> list reading posts like this from someone who just can't get started.

That's never really been an issue, but improvements to the docs are
always welcome regardless.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com