Re: Windows now has fdatasync()

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows now has fdatasync()
Date: 2022-04-08 07:56:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 at 05:41, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> > On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 02:56:15PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> >> I propose that we drop support for Windows versions older than
> >> 10/Server 2016 in the PostgreSQL 16 cycle,
>
> Do we have any data on what people are actually using?

None that I know of. Anecdotally, we dropped support for pgAdmin on Windows
< 8 (2012 for the server edition), and had a single complaint - and the
user happily acknowledged they were on an old release and expected support
to be dropped sooner or later. Windows 8 was a pretty unpopular release, so
I would expect shifting to 10/2016+ for PG 16 would be unlikely to be a
major problem.

FWIW, Python dropped support for < 8/2012 with v3.9.

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com