Re: Windows now has fdatasync()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows now has fdatasync()
Date: 2022-04-08 04:40:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 02:56:15PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> I propose that we drop support for Windows versions older than
>> 10/Server 2016 in the PostgreSQL 16 cycle,

Do we have any data on what people are actually using?

> Do you think that we could raise the minimum C standard on WIN32 to
> C11, at least for MSVC?

As long as the C11-isms are in MSVC-only code, it seems like this is
exactly equivalent to setting a minimum MSVC version. I don't see
an objection-in-principle there, it's just a practical question of
how far back is reasonable to support MSVC versions. (That's very
distinct from how far back we need the built code to run.)