Re: Regarding GSoC 2012 project

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: mukesh agrawal <mkagrawal18(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-students(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regarding GSoC 2012 project
Date: 2012-03-25 19:08:41
Lists: pgsql-students

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM, mukesh agrawal <mkagrawal18(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> Actually I was having my mid-sem exams, so I could not much related to the
> project, But in the meantime, I went through
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgAdmin_Internals but I didn't get much
> related to the project.
>
> In the project proposal, I had to answer about the project schedule(How
> long will the project take? When can you begin work?) but I am still not
> much clear about this question. Could you please help me in answering this
> question?

I haven't investigated what work would be needed to complete those
projects, nor do I have any idea of your capabilities so I'm not able to
suggest a project schedule for you. You'll need to look at the code, and
try to get an understanding of the requirements of each sub-project, and
then estimate how long you think it would take you to complete them. I
would then suggest doubling that estimate to allow for overruns and testing
time. You should also bear in mind you'll need a week or so to get a build
environment setup and become familiar with it, and that you'll begin the
project with little experience of the code base and wxWidgets, so plan on a
slow start to begin with. I will say that I think a competent C++ developer
should be able to produce a polished, release quality result for this
project in the time allotted for GSoC.

> Could you also please suggest me about what I should do now related to the
> project to strengthen my GSoC application?

Research as mentioned above - and avoid under-estimating the requirements
of the task (that's a common mistake, not just in GSoC, but in development
in general). Show that you understand the project in the application, by
including initial thoughts on how you think the code should be written
(what are the important functions you'll have to modify, what will you need
a parser for, how will the new features look to the end user etc)?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company