Re: Unknown type name bool

From: Igal Sapir <igal(at)lucee(dot)org>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unknown type name bool
Date: 2019-07-12 06:23:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:54:53PM -0700, Igal Sapir wrote:
> > Thank you, Michael, but my goal is not to just build from source, but to
> > run Postgres in an IDE. I tried CLion because it's modern and cross
> > platform, but I am open to other IDEs.
> >
> > What IDEs do Postgres hackers use (other than vi with gcc)?
>
> A set of N people would likely result in more than (N+1) different
> approaches when it comes to that. The environment is old school here
> as I just have a set of terminals coupled with emacs as editor and
> gcc/clang, but you have a large set of editors at your disposal (nano,
> vi, etc.).

I'd actually be happy with (N+1) different approaches. It will allow me,
and others like, to choose the one that works for us best.

> > Is there any documentation or posts on how to set up the project in an
> IDE?
>
> It depends on what you are actually trying to do and how you want to
> ease your development experience. I have little experience with CLion
> or such kind of tools, some with Eclipse, but I find that kind of
> cumbersome as well when it comes to C.

At the moment I am trying to run psql in a debugger with breakpoints. I
have spent many hours troubleshooting a `\copy` from a large CSV that kept
failing, until I realized that there was a null character in the middle of
a quoted string. I'd be happy to submit a patch that at least warns of
such issues when they happen.

Thanks,

Igal